Are your hole cutters, annular cutters, and other cutters wearing out too fast? This is a very common concern and problem among those who use cutters on a regular basis. Everyone wants to have long life out of their cutters. Longer life means more cutting, which means more work done, which means more profit. Also, the longer the life, the less you will have to purchase new cutters for the job!
Hougen Mfg. has been very kind to give out some tips to keep your cutters, magnetic drills, and such running smooth and having a longer life. Many may seem trivial, but don’t underestimate the small trivial things as they can have a very large impact!
- #1 cause of broken or prematurely dull cutters is too slow of a feed rate. Slower feed rates will not add life to your cutter but actually reduce the cutter’s life. Use firm steady feed pressure throughout the cut.
- Always make sure to clear chips from your cutter before starting the next hole.
- Make sure support system for drill arbor is in place and not worn out. If using on a drill press, a support system must be used.
- For harder materials, use the appropriate cutter material. Like premium cutters and carbide tipped or solid carbide cutters! Hougen has a very nice line of Premium Cutters and Copperhead™ Carbide Tipped Cutters.
- Make sure mag drill is on a clean work piece and securely attached. Uneven or large build up of debris can cause drill slippage. Material must be at least 3/8″ thick. Painted material can also be troublesome if paint buildup does not allow magnet to hold securely.
- When slug ejection becomes unreliable or tool resists cutting, resharpen or replace your cutter. For Hougen drills, you can have them sent in or purchase a sharpening machine so you can sharpen them right at home or the shop! Talk about saving money!
- Always use coolant when drilling. For best results with Hougen cutters, use Hougen’s Slick-Stik™ or RotaMagic™ cutting lubricant.
- For best performance always maintain your drill as instructed in your operator’s manual.
- And as always, always observe standard and specific safety instructions.
When it eventually is time to purchase a new set of cutters, check out Hougen’s cutters as they are of very high quality. They have excellent customer support if you are in need of answers or help. If you would like more information on Hougen cutters, please visit a previous blog post on “Hougen® Rotabroach® Annular Cutters – Simply The Best!”. Contact us at 1-800-800-4967 or visit our site www.huronindustrial.com for even more information or to order.
- Hougen Items at Huron Industrial Supply: https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen
- Hougen Rotabroach cutters: https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen/12000-series-rotabroach-cutters
- Hougen Sharpening Machine: https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen/sharpening-machines
- Hougen RotaLoc & RotaLoc Plus cutters: https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen/rotaloc–rotaloc-plus-cutters
- Hougen RotaCut Sheet metal cutters: https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen/rotacut-sheet-metal-cutters
- Hougen Holcutters (carbide and HSS*): https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen/holcutter-sheet-metal-cutters
- Hougen Copperhead Carbide Cutters: https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen/copperhead-carbide-cutters
- Hougen Lubricant: https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen/lubricant
- Hougen Magnetic Drills: https://www.huronindustrial.com/in-store/hougen/magnetic-drills
Experience is the best teacher for learning the tips and tricks of trades. If anyone else has tips on how to get more out of your cutters, extend the life of your machines and cutters, or general tips, leave them below!
For any comments or questions, please comment below or contact us at 1-800-800-4967, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org